Tuesday, April 15, 2014

TAXMAN


Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet

Taxman!
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

Don't ask me what I want it for (Aahh Mr. Wilson)
If you don't want to pay some more (Aahh Mr. Heath)
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

And you're working for no one but me
Taxman! 

---------------------------------------------------------------
So, Here Is Where The $3,000,000,000,000 Comes From
http://static.natprior.org/images/fb101/revenue_pie_2014.gif
---------------------------------------------------------------- 
 And Here Is Where It Goes
http://static.natprior.org/images/fb101/spending_-_total_spending_pie_2014.gif
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But here is an interesting tidbit - the 'discretionary' spending 
http://static.natprior.org/images/fb101/spending_-_discretionary_pie_2014.gif
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 And of course, minor problem, the outlay is $560,000,000,000 more than the intake

http://consultingbyrpm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013.10-FY2014-Outlays.png 

And this is just the Federal Government!
We also get to pay state income taxes, property taxes, state, county and city sales taxes, special assessment taxes, license and use fees, and more.  We even get to pay taxes on money that was taken from us as a tax!!
In Colorado, Tax Freedom Day is April 22nd this year, and you can find your state's
So, most of us are still working for the government.

2 comments:

John Riegsecker said...

Two comments. We have no income tax, so even though Washington state is 9th, it is a good place for people with high incomes (not that I have one). Second, if you go here and look at the happiness ratings:

http://time.com/9465/here-are-the-50-states-ranked-by-how-happy-their-residents-are/

you find that many of the states with the earliest tax days have the unhappiest populations. Looking at State (tax day rank, happiness rank) you have

Alabama (46,47)
Tennessee (47,44)
S. Dakota (48,2)
Mississippi (49,48)
Louisiana (40, 41)

The glaring exception is South Dakota!!! And its a beautiful state to boot!

I might move to South Dakota, but I'm happy to pay a little bit in taxes to live where I do rather than in any of the other "top ten" tax friendly states.

DES said...

John - first, color me jealous that you folks have no state income tax. Because I earned some money from Pepperdine during the past couple of years, I have the joy of paying income tax in both states!!! The credit that CO gives does not ease the pain very much.

I understand the unhappiness ratings - probably not too much to do with taxes :-) South Dakota - ya - probably nice a couple of days out of the year. Surprised that Dudley left a no-income-tax state.

See you in Goshen in June.