Sunday, January 19, 2020

ARLO, PETE & ELVIS

Happened upon this video, and found it mesmerizing and moving - hope you enjoy it as much as I did




Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Oh, shall I stay, would it be a sin
Oh, if I can't help falling in love with you?
 
Like a river flows, surely to the sea
Darling, so it goes, some things are meant to be
 
Take my hand, take my whole life too
Oh, for I can't help falling in love with you
 
Oh, like a river flows, surely to the sea
Darling, so it goes, some things are meant to be
 
Oh, take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you
Oh, for I can't help falling in love with you

3 comments:

Bizzy Brain said...

Great song! Original melody is a classical French love song written in 1784 by Jean-Paul-Egide Martini and called Plaisir d’amour. Lots of presentations of it on YouTube. Here are a couple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25FVGrjbtL8 and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WvXpgLtTwY

Was originally written for a woman to sing about a man. Interesting third line in Elvis’ lyrics about “…would it be a sin...” You don’t come across the word sin in lyrics…ever, unless of course you listen to Jeannie Kendall sing “Heaven’s Just a Sin Away.” Lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFy-K-gEng

Douglas E said...

Good info, BB. Just pull that off the top of your head [or some other nether parts] or did you do a bit of research? :-)

Bizzy Brain said...

Didn't pull it off anything or out of anything. Wondered if Elvis wrote the song, and a brief internet search revealed the creators of the melody and lyrics. Then the word "sin" in the lyrics became a curiosity, and Jeannie Kendall's godawful song came to mind, though it is actually an entertaining and high quality video presentation, though a bit of a jarring contrast between the lyrics and the wholesomeness of the audience (studio arranged), especially the young girls. Two other things of interest were the expression on the face of the portly guitar player (light shirt and suspenders) and Jeannie Kendall's incredible schnozz, which would give Jimmy Durante a run for his money.