Thursday, August 25, 2022

I WANT TO DANCE

I previously posted about a song I wrote entitled I Want To Dance.  You might want to click here to see the lyrics, the chords, and some nice pictures that go along with lyrics.   At one gathering of some musician  friends, we played the song and I thought "This would be quite pretty with a small group including guitar, bass, mandolin and fiddle.  Well, dreams do come true!  This year I attended Colorado Roots Camp as a real camper rather than an RMMC volunteer as I had done for a dozen years.  One of the things that campers are encouraged to do is to perform a song on Student Concert Night, on the last evening of Camp.  This gives one the whole week to get nervous!  However, the professionals who are the instructors during the week are quite willing to help out, so I recruited Rolly Brown on guitar, Matt Weiner on bass, Keith Yoder on Mandolin, and Katie Glassman on fiddle.  And being such accomplished pros, we went over the song for about five minutes and they had it down - which is obvious in the video.  I was the only one who screwed up a bit!!  Many thanks to Michael Shainline for this video.  [I'm not sure why the embed doesn't seem to work....]

 
 

11 comments:

Sigmund the Fraud said...

What would Freud think? What does the song REALLY mean? The author, a graduate of a Mennonite college, was raised by staunch Mennonites back when Mennonite culture was much more strict, oppressive, severe, and unforgiving. Back then dancing was a sin, among many others, such as cards, alcohol, movies, etc. Therefore wanting to dance is the same as wanting to sin. A simple, oppressed soul wants to break free! It wants to fling about with wild abandon! It wants to SIN! Lol!

Douglas E said...

Thanks for the insight Sigmund - can always count on you. Indeed dancing was verboten back in then old days, but we broke the mold at GC. A foursome called the Corrupters were playing in the Union Building and a dance broke out!! Also the song says I "want" to dance - har!!!

Jesse Pearson said...

A simple, appealing melody that returns to play in your head.

Douglas E said...

Jesse - thanks for stopping by and having a listen; much appreciated.

doug

Zoran the Contemplator said...

I think you could reword it a little bit and market it as contemporary praise music. For example, replace "to dance" with "Jesus" and take out the "with you." It would fit right in with all the praise music I've heard lately. Am dead serious.

Anonymous said...

Z, I think that I'll pass 😁

Tyrone "Ty" Needic said...

Don't think I would dismiss it out of hand, Anonymous. "Gospelizing" music would be a cheap and easy way to get one's name and music out there.

Hugh G. said...

Would skip the nickname if I were you, Ty.

Douglas E said...

I'm afraid you lost me on that one Huge, er Hugh....

Hugh G. said...

Well, Doc, first pronounce Ty, then pronounce Needic, then pronounce them together.

Douglas E said...

Still doesn't make too much sense, but I know what you are trying to say. Ty? Maybe Igor, nicknamed I.